Issues in Interdisciplinarity 2018-19
Welcome to the Wikibook Issues in Interdisciplinarity 2018–19.
This book is collaboratively written by students at University College London (UCL) taking the module 'Approaches to Knowledge', a first-year undergraduate course that forms part of the core of the Arts and Sciences degree programme.
The book is split into four sections, covering four common issues facing those conducting interdisciplinary work:
- disciplinary categories
- evidence and the disciplines
- truth and the disciplines
- imperialism and the disciplining of knowledge
Each chapter explores how one of these issues might play out in an example of interdisciplinary work.
Potential readers may range from stakeholders in interdisciplinary education (e.g. educators or policy-makers) to students thinking of pursuing an interdisciplinary degree programme, either at UCL or elsewhere.
Any interested parties can contact the module co-convenors, James Everest and Carl Gombrich, for further information. Contact details are available on the UCL Arts and Sciences departmental webpage.
Disciplinary categories Edit
- Disciplinary Categories and Reframing Deforestation in Guinea
- Disciplinary Categories and Their Effect On Gender Perception
Evidence and the disciplines Edit
- Evidence in Nutrition
- Evidence in the Gender Pay Gap
- Reliability of Legal Evidence
- Evidence in Climate Change
- Evidence for the Implications of the Cow in India
- Evidence in driverless cars
Truth and the disciplines Edit
- The Commercialisation of Social Media and its Impact on Truth
- Truth in the Diagnosis of Depression
- Subjective and Objective Truth in AI
- Truth and the Environment
- Truth, History and Society: How good is Twitter at telling the Truth?
- Truth in Subconscious Racism
- Truth in Uchronia
- Truth in Ethnography
- Truth in Reproductive Biology
- Truth in memory: the reliability of eyewitness testimony
- Truth in history: the teaching of WW2 in Japan
- Truth and Power: Education under Hitler
- Truth in Politics
- The Relationship Between Truth and Politics/
- Truth in Medicine
- Truth and Art
- Truth in media: Turkish Politics
- Truth in Franco's Regime
Imperialism and the disciplining of knowledge Edit
- Imperialism and IMF
- Imperialism in Fashion
- Imperialism in the study of children's toy preferences
- Imperial Influences on African Education Systems
- Imperialism: a black and white issue?
- Imperialism in whitening of 21st century Brazil
- Imperialism and educational projects
- Imperialism in Urban Planning
- Imperialism and Humanitarian Architecture
- Soviet Imperialism in Classical Music
- Imperialism in the 'War on Drugs'
- Imperialism in Museums
- Imperialism in Global Health