Ict@innovation: Free your IT Business in Africa/1< Ict@innovation: Free your IT Business in Africa
Module 1: Introduction to emerging FOSS Business ModelsEdit
This module sets the scene for “The African FOSS Business Models for ICT-based SMEs” by providing a basic introduction to the phenomenon that has come to be known as Free and Open Source Software or FOSS. The concept of FOSS is becoming more mainstream to the public and we are seeing increased business adoption which is generating higher levels of revenue. FOSS is no longer a marginal concept but rather it has become good business. This module sets the scene for exploring various FOSS concepts ranging from terms and definitions, the organizational structures of projects and communities, to the global business impact of FOSS which could form the basis for understanding and constructing business models within the African context.
- Gain a basic understanding of FOSS.
- Understand and appreciate how FOSS projects and communities work
- Develop confidence in their ability to run FOSS business.
- Understand the changing nature of FOSS business.
- Understand the types of existing and emerging FOSS business models.
- Be able to identify the potential local markets for FOSS business.
- Gain knowledge of the leading online resources to keep current in the FOSS eco-space.
- Identify the FOSS licensing models
Authors and Trainers:Edit
Pool of African ict@innovation expert trainersEdit
|Module 1||Introduction to Emerging: FLOSS Business Models||James Njenga,
|Module 1||Sulayman K. Sowe,Nhlanhla Mabaso,Frank Tilugulilwa,Irene Fernández Monsalve,Samer Azmy,Kim Tucker,Glenn McKnight|
Additional material for Module 1: Introduction to Emerging FLOSS Business Models (presentations, tests, evaluation forms, pool of trainers, derived material) is available online at:
Sessions and TimetableEdit
The entire content in this Module is estimated to be delivered in 1 day, with some variations within the modules. For instructional purpose, the content of this Module can be delivered as proposed in the summarized table below.
|9:00 – 10:30||* Introduction to Module 1
|10:30 - 10:45||Coffee Break|
|10:45 - 12:15||* FOSS Business Globally
|13:30 - 15:00||* Evolution of FOSS Communities and Software Markets-Contd
|15:00 – 15:15||Coffee Break|
|15:15 - 17:00||* FOSS License