ICT4 Elderly/Internet telephony
Contents of the module
- Voice message digital applications through the internet - Internet Telephony.
- How to download and install a Windows application;
- How to create a Skype account;
- How to make voice and video calls over Skype.
- Participant is able to download, install, use Skype and effectively communicate via Skype;
- Participants are motivated to use internet telephony as one of their communication channels and discover new ways of communicating online.
- Presentation (slides) to support the learning process and guide discussion on the concept on online technology;
- Practically setting up Skype account and a voice and video call;
- Practically use the chatting function in a group.
- Practical exercise: participants have to create a new Skype account and add some of their classmates as contacts so that can practice chatting/voice and video calling amongst each other.
Following this module learners will:
- Be able to download and install a Windows application;
- Know how to create a Skype account;
- Be able to use online telephony, mainly through Skype.
Introduction of the training
Internet telephony is a type of communications technology that allows voice calls and other telephony services like, SMS and other voice-messaging applications to be transmitted using the Internet as a connection medium. Software under this technology is cost-effective and convenient because it allows the user to communicate through, voice and video calls anywhere in the world as long as there is an Internet connection. In this way, users can bypass the charges that are common in traditional telephone services. The quality of this service is dependent on the quality and speed of the Internet connection.
Learning subject/ field: Narrative/sequential description of the learning activities Introduce the concept of Internet Telephony and how VoIP – Voice over internet Protocol is growing in use worldwide. While the technology has countless advantages, it also has its share of disadvantages. Discuss some of them together.
- Voice Quality
- Extra/Less Expensive Features
- Reliable Internet Connection Required
- Power Outages/Emergencies
Show to participants how to create and use a skype account and allow students to create a skype account of their own and how to navigate through it.
Skype, Internet communication, Internet telephony, Telephony, Calls, Camera, Microphone, Inbuilt.
First Session structure edit
The purpose of the session will be:
- to provide an overview of how participants can maximise the use of the Internet through telephony;
- to facilitate live communication;
- to discuss new ways of communicating online;
- to motivate participants to use the Internet for live communication.
Internet Telephony edit
- Explain the concept of online telephony;
- Show how to create and use a Skype account;
- Allow students to create a Skype account.
Communicating world-wide has never been easier and cheaper than today. Thanks to digital advances we can now talk to and see, in real time, relatives and friends who live thousands of kilometres away. This can be done using just an Internet connection and a telephony program such as Skype.
If you don’t already have Skype installed on your computer, you will need to download and install it, as follows:
- Navigate to the webpage at http://www.skype.com
- Click on the Downloads button at the top of the page.
- Click on the Get Skype for Windows Desktop button.
- Follow the instructions displayed on the Skype website to complete the installation.
Before you can start to use Skype you need to create a Skype account. To do so click on the Create a new account button.
You will be directed to the Skype sign up page, where you have to input your personal information, just like the details we had to input to create a Google account.
Once your account is created, type in the username and password and click on Sign me in.
Once you sign in, you can start looking for people you know on Skype by typing their name and surname in the search box and clicking on Find this person.
A number of contacts with the name you input will appear and when you find the person you were looking for, click on the Add contact button. A request is sent to your new contact asking whether they accept.
When your contacts are online, you can see an icon like this next to their name. You can use Skype to call online contacts for free. You can set your own online status from the drop-down list next to your name at the top-left corner of the Skype window.
Setting up a voice call edit
To set up a voice call, you will need to have a microphone and speakers connected to your computer. To start the call:
- Click on the name of an online contact you wish to call.
- Click on the Call button.
Setting up a video call edit
To set up a video call with one of your contacts you will need to have a webcam connected to your computer, in addition to the microphone and speakers. To start the video call:
- Click on the name of an online contact you wish to call.
- Click on the Video call button.
- Once the other person accepts your call, you can start seeing and talking to each other.
You can also use Skype to send short text messages (called chatting). To start chatting with one of your contacts:
- Click on the contact's name.
- Type your message in the chat area at the bottom right of the Skype window.
Case Study edit
Ever since Petra moved to Australia, she has made it a point to keep constant contact with her parents in Malta. Before she used to call on the phone once a week to catch up on how they were doing. She tried to be as concise as possible during their conversations, since the long-distance call rates were very expensive. Things got much better when Anna, Petra’s mum, installed Skype on her computer. Thanks to Skype they can now talk to each other for as long as they like, as well as see each other.
Try this edit
Create a new Skype account and add some of your classmates as contacts so that you can practice chatting amongst each other.
Overall duration of the session edit