IB Biology Practical Investigations/Statistics< IB Biology Practical Investigations
Practical investigations or activities included in this section are intended as a teaching resource rather than an assessment tool. Although all practical hours recorded may be counted on the form 4/PSOW, these activities are probably not suitable for assessment of the IA criteria.
Types of Data
- Discrete and Continuous Data
- Mean, Median and Mode
- Standard Deviation
Graphs and Charts
- Axes and labelling
- Choosing the right graph
- Interpreting Graphs
- Error Bars
- Correlation and Causality
EXTRA STATS FOR ECOLOGISTS
It's not all just chucking quadrats about and wearing wellies...
- Simpson's Diversity Index
BAD SCIENCE AND THEORY OF KNOWLEDGE
Statistics in Science are abused on a daily basis to knowingly or otherwise misrepresent scientific data. How can students use their new-found statistical skills to see past the smoke and mirrors?
- Bad Science
- Common Errors in Statistics
RECOMMENDED TEXTS: STATISTICSEdit
- How to Lie With Statistics. Huff, D. W.W. Norton and Co, 1954. ISBN 0 3933 1072 8
- WikiBook Statistics
- BadScience - a collection of articles from Ben Goldacre at the Guardian newspaper.