The coast is a dynamic zone where the interaction of the sea and land processes takes place. It can be divided into several zones. (can be omitted)
- The shore is the area between the highest and the lowest water level. It can be divided into backshore, foreshore and nearshore.
- backshore: between highest water level and high tide level
- foreshore: between high tide level and low tide level
- nearshore: between low tide level and lowest water level
- Offshore is the submerged area extending seaward from nearshore.