Ruby is a general-purpose object-oriented programming language.
rglpk is a Ruby language binding for GLPK. It is licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License, version 2.1. Rglpk is available as a gem (a packaged Ruby library) hosted on http://rubygems.org/gems/rglpk. The project homepage is http://rglpk.rubyforge.org/rglpk/.
Before installing rglpk, an appropriate version of GLPK must be installed. Use the following procedure to find out which version of GLPK is required
- open http://rubygems.org/gems/rglpk
- follow the download link (cookies must be enabled) and save the file
- unpack the gem file — it is in tar.gz.tar file format (you can unpack it with 7-zip or tar)
- unzip data.tar.gz
- read file ChangLog.md
For instance, GLPK 4.44 is needed for rglpk-0.26.
Installation on GNU LinuxEdit
rglpk is installed using the following command
gem install rglpk
Under Debian Wheezy, the following also worked
sudo apt-get install ruby1.9.1 ruby1.9.1-dev glpk sudo gem install rglpk
Installation on WindowsEdit
- Ruby Installer, available at http://rubyinstaller.org/
- DevKit, available at http://rubyinstaller.org/add-ons/devkit/
The development kit must be set up as described at https://github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/wiki/Development-Kit.
C:\Ruby193\bin\setrbvars.bat cd C:\DevKit ruby dk.rb init ruby dk.rb install
As noted above, the GLPK version must match the rglpk version.
- download ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/glpk/glpk-4.44.tar.gz
- extract the glpk-4.44.tar.gz to C:\temp
The following instructions worked for Ruby Installer 1.9.3-p0. Adjust the directories to suit your system
C:\DevKit\msys.bat cd /C/temp/glpk-4.44 ./configure make make check make install cp include/glpk.h /C/Ruby193/include/ruby-1.9.1 cp src/.libs/libglpk.a /C/Ruby193/lib exit
Building and installing the gem is straightforward
gem install rglpk
Checking the installationEdit
You can check the installation by issuing
gem query local
Ruby-FFI is a ruby extension for programmatically loading dynamic libraries, binding functions within them, and calling those functions from Ruby code.. You can install ffi with
gem install ffi
Ffi-glpk uses FFI to load the GLPK library and supplies wrapping for some of the API functions. It is published under a BSD license.
Ffi-glpk can be downloaded from .
- "ffi". RubyGems.org. http://rubygems.org/gems/ffi. Retrieved 15 October 2011.
- "[annonce] ffi-glpk extension demonstrator for jruby". lists.gnu.org. http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-glpk/2009-01/msg00060.html. Retrieved 15 October 2011.