Ethics for IT Professionals/Professional Code of Ethics
== Ethical Code == Ethical codes fill gaps in laws and regulation that fail to reach or simply can not be applied. It is a guide of principles designed to help professionals conduct their business ethically. This code of ethics can also describe ethical values of a company or organization and reflect its mission. How employees are to approach different issues, and how these standards should be enforced. Most professions have ethical codes in which they must follow. Those codes often signify or state what they hold most dear. For example, CPAs and doctors each have a code of ethics that reflect each of their professions values and principles.
Most IT Professionals, unlike doctors and other professionals, do not have a general rule making body, they may have many professional organizations specialized to specific groups.
- Association of Information Technology Professionals(AITP)
- CyberSecurity Institute (CSI)
- Independent Computer Consultants (ICCA)
- Information Systems Security Association (ISSA)
- Association for Computer Operations Management(AFCOM)
- Computing Technology Industry Association(CompTIA)
The existence of these bodies is made necessary due to the lack of respect for ethics in society in general, requiring not only the validation of this types of bodies but also their power to enforce sanctions when ethical violations are made evident. Something that could be well covered by the state and the academia.
It can be argued that these ruling bodies should be in fact unnecessary, since ethical considerations do not depend on ones profession, even if very specific considerations can seem restricted in the function they will be shared by another profession. It could also be stated that this is a function of the state and the legal system, that delegating these functions in non-governmental, even if public organizations, is detrimental to the public good, and overall block to transparency of procedures. These bodies will also promote the exertion of corporate influence toward their specific groups interests, one such interest is reducing competition by limiting or increasing the difficulty of access to functions and a general increase in prices since they permit a coordinated fixing of payments in a monopolistic way and promote the practice of obtaining special treatment and recognition for those that depend on their specific activities.
IT Code of EthicsEdit
Because there are many different independent groups for IT Code of Ethics, there are many different ideas about what guidelines there should be.
SANS IT Code of Ethics general guidelines are:
- I will strive to know myself and be honest about my capability.
- I will conduct my business in a manner that assures the IT profession is considered one of integrity and professionalism.
- I respect privacy and confidentiality.
ICCP Code of Ethics are:
- A high standard of skill and knowledge.
- A confidential relationship with people served.
- Public reliance upon the standards of conduct and established practice.
- The observance of an ethical code.