Since XML is software independent, many types of software can be used for the production of ETDs in XML. The next table gives the software you can use by type of tools. This is a short list of tools we used in our projects. Nevertheless, many others can suit you requirements, among them, freeware. http://www.garshol.priv.no/download/xmltools/ is a good place to find free XML tools and software. The XML Cover Page (http://www.oasisopen.org/cover/sgml-xml.html) is the reference.
- XML Spy http://www.xmlspy.com This tool integrates more than an XML editor.
- Xmetal http://www.xmetal.com/top_frame.sq
- Corel WordPerfectSuite http://www.corel.com See Corel WordPerfect. Can also be used as regular wordprocessing software.
- MS Word www.microsoft.com See Microsoft Word and Office 2007.
- StarOffice Version 8 http://www.sun.com/software/star/staroffice/index.jsp A good alternative to MS Word, exports some kinds of XML. Supports import and export of MathML files.
- OpenOffice.org http://www.openoffice.org Exports XMLbut not to (user) variable DTDs
- AbiWord http://www.abisource.com open source
- Kword http://www.kde.org (KOffice, KDE Project/ open source)
- Amaya http://www.w3.org/amaya Open Source, World Wide Web Consortium For Mathematical Formulas in MathML
- Hancom HancomWord 5.2 (included in HancomOffice 1.5 and more) http://www.hancom.com Linux based Office Package fully compatible with MS-word file and templates.
- Any scriptinglanguage PERL, JAVA, etc.
- Omnimark http://www.omnimark.com Very interesting, but not free, and no longer offers a significant discount for universities (about 10,000 US$ for the standard release)
- Avenue.Quark http://www.quark.com/products/avenue/ Not really interesting
- Save as XML plug-in in PDF http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/89a2.htm
- Tetrasix http://www.tetrasix.com Only partially usable. Good for the Majix prepared DTDs
- WorX SE http://www.hvltd.com/ Plugin for Word
- Schema MarkupKit http://www.schema.de
- I4I http://www.i4i.com Add-On for Word
XML formatter for print solutions
Next Section: DTDs for ETDs