Lesson 4.6: Poisoning/Overdose
By the end of this lesson, the EMT-Basic should be able to:
- List the various ways that poisons enter the body.
- List signs/symptoms associated with poisoning.
- Discuss the emergency medical care for the patient with possible overdose.
- Describe the steps in the emergency medical care for the patient with suspected poisoning.
- Establish the relationship between the patient suffering from poisoning or overdose and airway management.
- State the generic and trade names, indications, contraindications, medication form, dose, administration, actions, side effects, and re-assessment strategies for activated charcoal.
- Recognize the need for medical direction in caring for the patient with poisoning or overdose.
- Explain the rationale for administering activated charcoal.
- Explain the rationale for contacting medical direction early in the prehospital management of the poisoning or overdose patient.
- Demonstrate the steps in the emergency medical care for the patient with possible overdose.
- Demonstrate the steps in the emergency medical care for the patient with suspected poisoning.
- Perform the necessary steps required to provide a patient with activated charcoal.
- Demonstrate the assessment and documentation of patient response.
- Demonstrate proper disposal of the equipment for the administration of activated charcoal.
- Demonstrate completing a prehospital care report for patients with a poisoning/overdose emergency.