Lesson 3.1: Scene Size-Up
By the end of this lesson, the EMT-Basic should be able to:
- Recognize hazards/potential hazards.
- Describe common hazards found at the scene of a trauma and a medical patient.
- Determine if the scene is safe to enter.
- Discuss common mechanisms of injury and common natures of illnesses.
- Discuss the reason for identifying the total number of patients at the scene.
- Explain the reason for identifying the need for additional help or assistance.
- Explain the rationale for crew members to evaluate scene safety prior to entering.
- Serve as a model for others explaining how patient situations affect your evaluation of mechanism of injury or nature of illness.
- Observe various scenarios and identify potential hazards.