In the Dungeons & Dragons fantasy role-playing game, the aranea is a spider-like magical beast that lives in temperate forests. Its natural form is that of a spider of monstrous size, with two small humanlike arms below its mandibles.
|Stats||Open Game License stats|
|First appearance||X1 The Isle of Dread|
An aranea is usually neutral in alignment. It has the ability to change its shape into that of a humanoid, or a spider-humanoid hybrid. It has the poison and webspinning ability of a spider, as well as the ability to cast spells like a sorcerer.
The aranea has appeared in the following publications:
- It first appeared in 1981 in the Dungeons & Dragons modules X1 Isle of Dread, and X2 Castle Amber.
- It description was later reprinted in AC9 Creature Catalogue (1986).
- The aranea appeared in second edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons in the Mystara Monstrous Compendium Appendix (1994), which was later reprinted in Monstrous Compendium Annual Three (1996).
- In the third edition in the Monster Manual (2000),
- In the revised 3.5 Monster Manual (2003).
- As a player character race in the book Savage Species (2003), and later in Dragon #351 (January 2007).