Dictionary of National Biography
About This BookEdit
The w:Dictionary of National Biography (DNB) is a 63-volume compendium of short biographies of people associated with Britain, produced between 1885 and 1900. It is still an important secondary source for its subject matter. The volumes were written and edited under the constraints of the late 19th century. This makes it somewhat difficult to understand completely for modern readers. This book is an attempt to help the modern reader make the best use of this valuable resource.
A project is underway at Wikisource to make the entire DNB available, at s:Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900.
How to Edit a ModuleEdit
To edit any wiki page (including this one):
- Click on the Edit tab at the top of the page.
- Make your change in the large text box.
- Type an explanation of your change in the Edit summary text box below.
- Click on the Show preview button below the edit summary to preview your change.
- If you're satisfied with the result, click on the Save page button.
Your contribution will be reviewed before it is officially published.
Things you shouldn't add to modules:
- external links that are not directly related to the chapter
- comments or questions regarding the text
To ask questions and make comments about any module:
- Click on the Discussion tab at the top of the page. This will take you to the corresponding talk page. Note that the talk page name begins with the "Talk:" prefix.
- If the topic of your question or comment is under discussion, edit the relevant section.
- If it's a new topic, click on the Add topic tab at the top of the talk page to start a new discussion.
- Sign your message by typing ~~~~ at the end. (This will expand to your username and the date.)
- Remember to save your edit when you're done!
- To return to the WikiBook, click on the Book tab at the top of the talk page.
How to Add a ChapterEdit
To add a Chapter:
- Edit the Table of Contents section (below) and add a list item with a descriptive wikilink.
- After saving your edit, follow the redlink to create the module and begin adding content to it.
- To make it easy to read the book in sequence, each chapter should have navigation links to the previous chapter and the nextchapter. Provide these links by transcluding the NAV template at the top and bottom of the page.
- Preview your work. When you're satisfied it, use the Save page button to add your new chapter to the wiki.
- If you provided navigation links, update the NAV templates on the previous and next chapters, if they exist.
- If you didn't provide navigation links, please ask someone to insert your new chapter in an appropriate place. One way to do this would be to create a talk page for your new module and type your request there.
How to Join the TeamEdit
If you want to join our Wikibook team, go to the team page for information and advice.
Table of ContentsEdit
- Volume Layout
- Article Layout
- Typographic conventions
- Greek letters
- Article selection