Jamaican rundown is a fish stew, often made with mackerel.
- To remove some of the salt from the mackerel, soak in water overnight or boil in hot water for 30 minutes. A combination both this can be done if the mackerel is still salty.
- Drain water off the mackerel and cut into small pieces.
- Combine coconut milk and water in a frying pan, and boil until it looks oily.
- Add the mackerel and cover the pot. Cook for 10–12 minutes on medium heat.
- Stir in the onion, garlic, scallion, tomatoes, scotch bonnet pepper, thyme, and vinegar.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with green bananas, yams or dumplings.