|This preliminary outline is at present incomplete|
Your suggestions in improving it are welcome. Please either edit this page to include your suggestions or leave them at the book's discussion page.
The Pigeonhole Principle
- General principles
- P. Hall's selection theorem
- Applications to Latin squares and to coverings by dominoes of pruned chessboards.
The inclusion-exclusion principal
- Applications to derangements
- Applications to counting problems
- Applications to rook polynomials
Linear recurrence relations
- Counting various types of partitions
- Ferrers graphs
- Self-conjugate partitions
Symmetric functions (and anti-symmetric functions)
- Monomial symmetric functions
- Elementary symmetric functions
- Theory of equations
- Newton's formulae and relations between symmetric functions
- Indexing of symmetric functions by partitions.