|Pointing a Firearm|
|s. 87 of the Crim. Code|
|Election / Plea|
|Jurisdiction||Prov. Court |
SC Judge + PI (I)
SC Jury + PI (I) (536(2))
|Avail. Disp.||Discharge (730)|
Conditional Sentence (742.1)
|Maximum||6 months jail or $5,000 fine|
|Avail. Disp.||same as summary|
|Offence Elements |
Pointing a firearm
(2) Every person who commits an offence under subsection (1)
- (a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years; or
- (b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.
R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 87; 1995, c. 39, s. 139.
Where a handgun is used in a public place, there is a significant emphasis on denunciation and deterrence.
- R. v. Danvers 2005 CanLII 30044 (ON CA), (2005), 199 C.C.C. (3d) 490, at para. 77 - "the use of handguns in public places cries out for lengthy increased periods of parole ineligibility"
- Youthful offender
- guilty plea (early or late plea, amount of court resources saved)
- no prior record or no related record
Ancillary Sentencing OrdersEdit
Recommended Probationary TermsEdit
- R. v. Sousa, 2011 ONSC 6463 - 12 months -