Biblical Studies/Christianity/Christian Theology/Character of God< Biblical Studies | Christianity | Christian Theology
The Bible claims that God made mankind in His own image in Genesis 1:26. This does not equate that men are in the image of God and not women, as can be seen in Genesis 1:27, but rather that all of humanity possesses the Imago Dei.
Christian theology strictly anthropomorphizes God as having a personality. Sometimes God is extremely angry and must kill whole towns; at other times, God appears infinitely compassionate. His human son, Jesus, is more renowned for compassion. The Bible does not record Jesus as having issued capital justice while on Earth.
- Love for humankind
- Incapable of evil, being bound by His character which itself gives definition to goodness
- Perfectly just
- Shows emotion
- Sorrow for mankind's folly and sinfulness
- Happiness when people repent
- Anger for mankind's rebellion against his commandments
- Has mercy on those who repent and believe in Him
- Does not lie