The American Revolution is a strong lowball cocktail served on the rocks. It contains gin and bourbon and is meant to mellow as its ice melts. Its alcoholic strength depends upon the specific liquors used. "Standard" proof bourbon and gin (40 proof) produces a "2 unit" cocktail (USA units), while combining two higher-proof liquors, such as Bombay Sapphire and Wild Turkey 101 produces the higher (2.44) unit cocktail.
|Units||1.42-1.73 (Japan) 2.00-2.44 (USA) 3.54-4.31 (UK)|
|Standard drinks||1.42-1.73 (Japan) 2-2.44 (USA) 3.54-4.31 (UK)|
- Gin, 1.5 oz
- Bourbon, 1.5 oz
- Bitters, 2 dashes
- Orange peel
- Sour cherries, do not use maraschino if you can get sour cherries.
- Old Fashioned glass
- Muddle orange peel in 1 oz of the gin.
- Add the remainder of the gin, the bourbon, the bitters, and ice to the glass.
- Stir 30 seconds (until aromatics of the liquors are awakened).
- Strain into Old Fashioned glass and fill glass with ice.
- Garnish with sour cherries.
- Maraschino cherries can substitute for the sour cherries in desperate circumstances.
- Other citrus peels can substitute for orange, for a sharper flavor.
- A Loyalist/Tory is made with dark rum instead of bourbon.