Adventist Youth Honors Answer Book/Vocational/Forestry - Advanced
|Forestry - Advanced|
North American Division
|Skill Level 3|
|Year of Introduction: 2009|
The Forestry - Advanced Honor is a component of the Technician Master Award .
- 1 1. Prerequisites: AY Tree Honor; Forestry Honor.
- 2 2. Define the following terms
- 3 3. Study five tree species important to forestry in your area and give the following information about each: a. common and scientific name b. range of tree c. height and diameter of tree at maturity d. economic importance of tree e. important pests (insects, disease, etc.) of the tree f. habitat of tree, forest zone, and elevation g. common age of rotation (harvesting) for various uses
- 4 4. What methods are used to insure reforestation of a harvest area?
- 5 5. On a map of your country, draw the forest areas and indicate the types of forest in each area.
- 6 6. Write a short report (250 words or more) on the importance of the forests in your country. Include such topics as the importance of wood for timber, paper (pulp), and firewood; wildlife habitat; livestock grazing; good water quality; and recreation for people.
- 7 7. Tour one of the following, or write a report with diagrams about operations.
- 8 8. Do a forest survey in a typical forest for your area. Using a prism, mark all trees large enough to be counted “in”, and record the following data for each “in” tree, and record the basal area by species for the whole plot
- 9 9. Participate in a reforestation project
- 10 References