Adventist Youth Honors Answer Book/Recreation/Swimming
See also Swimming - Advanced
|Skill Level 2|
|Year of Introduction: 1929|
- 1 Receive the American Red Cross Level VI Skill Proficiency or YMCA certificate or equivalent in Swimming OR pass the following requirements
- 2 1. Swim continuously in a coordinated and effective manner the following strokes and distances
- 3 2. Swim 25 yards (22.9 meters) continuously on the back, legs alone, using either the inverted breaststroke kick or the inverted scissors kick.
- 4 3. Demonstrate an effective turn in a closed course on the following
- 5 4. Surface dive in good form to a depth of 8 feet (2.4 meters) and swim a minimum distance of 20 feet (6.1 meters) under water.
- 6 5. In good form, do a pike and tuck surface dive.
- 7 6. In good form, do a shallow plunge dive (racing start) and continue in stroke.
- 8 7. In good form, do a running front dive off both feet from a deck and from a springboard.
- 9 8. Demonstrate the sidestroke turn.
- 10 9. Demonstrate sidestroke turn.
- 11 10. Demonstrate speed turn and pull-out for breaststroke.
- 12 11. Demonstrate flip turn for front crawl.
- 13 12. Demonstrate pike surface dive.
- 14 13. Demonstrate tuck surface dive.
- 15 14. Tread water for three minutes (one minute with no hands.)
- 16 15. Demonstrate throwing rescue.
- 17 16. Demonstrate rolling spinal injury victim to face up.
- 18 References
The Swimming Honor is a component of the Aquatic Master Award .
Receive the American Red Cross Level VI Skill Proficiency or YMCA certificate or equivalent in Swimming OR pass the following requirementsEdit
While it is not required that you have a professional teach you (or your kids) to swim, it is highly advisable. Check with your local pool (a local college, or YMCA for example) to see what kind of swimming courses are offered. If you are unsure where your nearest American Red Cross (ARC), or YMCA is, then check online at: Red Cross (in the middle near the top there is a place to enter your zip code so that you can locate your locale ARC chapter); or YMCA (there is a box off to the left that will allow you to enter your zip code). If you choose to not have a professional teach you, you will find the requirements below.