- Two cups raw acorns (from white oak or black oak trees)
- Shell the acorns and remove the skins.
- Grind the acorns into a fine flour with a mortar and pestle.
- Place the acorn flour in a cheesecloth, place the cheese cloth in a kitchen strainer, and run water through it repeatedly. This step is crucial as it removes the extremely bitter tannin from the flour.
- Taste the flour. If it is still bitter, run more water through it.
- Combine the flour with twice that amount of water in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for five minutes