Adventist Adventurer Awards/Animal Homes
What is a homeEdit
A home is the place where one lives permanently.
Tell about your home. Draw a picture of your house and color it.Edit
Animals have homes too. Name five different animals and tell where they liveEdit
Fun game about Animal's Home
· Beaver live near rivers, streams, ponds, small lakes, and marshes. They build lodges of sticks and mud on islands, on pond banks, or on lake shores. Beaver dams are domed-shaped and can be up to ten feet tall. Beaver lodges have one large central chamber and one or two entrances.
· Lions are most active at night and live in a variety of habitats but prefer grassland, savanna, dense scrub, and open woodland. Historically, they ranged across much of Europe, Asia, and Africa, but now they are found mainly in parts of Africa south of the Sahara
· Elephants live in tropical and subtropical regions of Africa and Asia. They are found most often in savannas, grasslands, and forests, but they also live in deserts, swamps, and mountains.
· Bald eagles are found in the wild in their North American habitat, from the Mexican border north through Canada. They always live near water, like marshes, lakes and coasts, and build their nests in the tall forest trees or cliffs near the water.
· Brown bears can be found in many habitats, from the fringes of deserts to high mountain forests and ice fields. In Europe, the brown bear is mostly found in mountain woodlands, in Siberia it occurs primarily in forests while in North America they prefer tundra, alpine meadows and coastlines.
How do animals know what to do to make a home?Edit
Animals are born with instincts. Also some animal parents teach the young how to build homes.
Choose an animal and do the followingEdit
Since this is the Eager Beaver program, the beaver is a logical choice. Beavers build homes that are enclosed, much like ours. Most animals just use naturally occurring features as homes. It is a simple matter to build or draw a beaver lodge.
Watch the animal (it can be in a zoo or on a video).Edit
Here is a live feed of a beaver lodge and a BBC video about beavers and another one.
Draw or color a picture of the animal.Edit
There are plenty of beaver drawings ready to color on the internet. Just do an image search and print out one you like.
Make a model of its home.Edit
Discussion about beaver lodges and directions for building a beaver lodge model with kids.
What you need:
Brown construction paper (for the mud)
String (I used brown string for the sticks)
Blue construction paper (for the water)
Beavers and labels for all the parts (here).
Show your picture and model at your club’s family night.Edit
Have fun showing off your model and picture.
Tell people what you learned about your animal and its home.Edit
These is where the children learn by repeating back what they learned. This is a good resource on beaver lodges.
A-Z Animals Beavers