The Elements of Life is the first unit in the Salters Advanced Chemistry course. It reviews essential topics from GCSE-level chemistry and introduces new content, including:
- the structure, properties, and behaviour of individual atoms
- the interaction of atoms with electromagnetic radiation
- the three main types of chemical bonding
- chemical patterns in the periodic table
- the shapes of molecules
Chemical Storylines sectionsEdit
- EL1: What are we made of?
- EL2: Take two elements...
- EL3: Where do the chemical elements come from?
- EL4: Looking for patterns in elements
- EL5: The molecules of life
- EL6: Summary
Chemical Ideas sectionsEdit
- 1.1 Amount of substance
- 1.2 Balanced equations
- 2.1 A simple model of the atom
- 2.2 Nuclear reactions
- 2.3 Electronic structure: shells
- 3.1 Chemical bonding
- 3.3 The shapes of molecules
- 6.1 Light and electrons
- 11.1 Periodicity
- 11.2 The s block: Groups 1 and 2
- EL1 How do we know the formula of a compound?
- EL2.1 How much iron is in a sample of an iron compound?
- EL2.2 Making the most of your study of chemistry
- EL3.1 Investigating the chemistry of Group 1 and Group 2 elements
- EL3.2 How do the physical properties of elements change across a row in the Periodic Table?
- EL3.3 Check your notes on The Elements of Life : Part 1
- EL4.1 How do we know about atoms?
- EL4.2 Isotopic abundance and relative atomic mass
- EL4.3 Investigating a spectroscopic technique
- EL4.4 Radon in the rocks
- EL5 Balloon molecules
- EL6 Check your notes on The Elements of Life : Part 2