A recipe from Nova Scotia that is called both Scottish Bannock and Irish Soda Bread.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180c)
- Mix dry ingredients
- Mix in butter
- Mix in buttermilk to make a soft, workable dough
- Optionally mix in blueberries, raisins or cinnamon to taste
- Knead dough briefly
- Oil a cookie sheet or use parchment paper
- Make dough into a disc 3 or so inches thick. Cut an X i dough with a knife (1cm or so deep)
- Bake 350°F (180c) for 50 to 70 minutes (depends on your oven) until a wood skewer stuck in comes out with no "gooeyness" on it
- Let cool 5 to 10 minutes after taking from the oven, and break apart with your hands into serving-sized chunks.