|Servings||6 to 8|
Radish Tart is a tasty and colorful pie, best served hot from the oven. Fresh red radishes and yellow cheese give this pretty pie any interesting look and taste.
- Preheat oven to 425° F (220° C).
- Sift and measure flour into a bowl. Cut in the butter until the particles are coarse. Stir in 1/2 of the cheese. Pour in 1/4 cup of the cream; toss the mixture with a fork until all parts are moistened.
- Turn the dough into a 9-inch round pie pan. With floured fingers, press the mixture into the bottom and sides of the pan, then prick the shell with a floured fork.
- Bake the pie shell for 10 to 12 minutes. (The sides will slip down a little during baking.) Cool on a wire rack.
- Lower the oven temperature to 325° F (160° C).
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese evenly over the bottom of the cooled pie shell. Beat together the egg yolks, the 3/4 cup cream, and the salt. Pour the egg mixture over the cheese. Place the radish slices evenly over the top of the pie.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until set.
- Remove the pie from the oven, cut it into wedges, and serve it hot.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
- If you really like the taste of radishes, use 1/2 cup or more. For a milder pie, use 1/4 cup.
- The cheese crust has a pleasant crisp texture when eaten fresh out of the oven. Leftovers can be refrigerated and reheated later, but the texture will not be as good.
- A really sharp knife will aid in cutting the wedges without displacing the radishes.