|Chicken Tagine with Lemon and Olives|
|Time||15 minutes active
1¾ hours total
Chicken Tagine with Lemon and Olives
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in three pieces
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup pitted green olives
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 3-inch cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large zip-close plastic bag, combine the juice and chicken.
- Seal and marinate in the refrigerator 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from bag and discard marinate.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, salt, and black and red peppers, and turmeric.
- Dredge the chicken through the flour mixture, lightly coating both sides, and set aside.
- In a large, deep nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken and cook for 3 minutes per side, or until lightly browned.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion, ginger, and garlic to pan.
- Sauté 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Return the chicken to the pan.
- Add the broth, olives, lemon zest, and cinnamon stick.
- Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until chicken is tender.
- To serve, discard the cinnamon stick and stir in cilantro.