Radiation Oncology/Performance scales
Karnofsky Performance ScaleEdit
- 100 - Normal; no complaints; no evidence of disease
- 90 - Able to carry on normal activity; minor signs or symptoms of disease
- 80 - Able to carry on normal activity with effort; some signs or symptoms of disease
- 70 - Cares for self; unable to carry on normal activity or do active work
- 60 - Requires occasional assistance but is able to care for most personal needs
- 50 - Requires considerable assistance and frequent medical care
- 40 - Disable; requires special care and assistance
- 30 - Severely disabled; hospitalization is indicated although death not imminent
- 20 - Very sick; hospitalization necessary; active support treatment is necessary
- 10 - Moribund; fatal processes progressing rapidly
- 0 - Dead
- 1948: No PMID Full text — "The use of the nitrogen mustards in the palliative treatment of carcinoma." (Karnofsky DA, Cancer 1948;1(4):634-656)
- An early publication of the Karnofksy scale. Used to assess improvement in performance status following treatment.
ECOG (Zubrod) Performance ScaleEdit
- 0 (Karnofsky 90-100) - Fully active; able to carry on all predisease activities without restriction
- 1 (Karnofsky 70-80) - Restricted in physically strenuous activity but ambulatory and able to carry out work of a light or sedentary nature. For example, light housework, office work.
- 2 (Karnofsky 50-60) - Ambulatory and capable of all self-care but unable to carry out any work activities. Up and about more than 50% of waking hours.
- 3 (Karnofsky 30-40) - Capable of only limited self-care; confined to bed or chair 50% or more of waking hours.
- 4 (Karnofsky 10-20) - Completely disabled. Cannot carry on self-care. Totally confined to bed.
- 5 - Dead
Lansky (Pediatric) Performance ScaleEdit
- 100 - Fully active, normal
- 90 - Minor restrictions in physically strenuous activity
- 80 - Active, but tires more quickly
- 70 - Both greater restriction of and less time spent in play activity
- 60 - Up and around, but minimal active play; keeps busy with quieter activities
- 50 - Gets dressed, but lies around much of the day; no active play, able to participate in all quiet play and activities.
- 40 - Mostly in bed; participates in quiet activities
- 30 - In bed; needs assistance even for quiet play
- 20 - Often sleeping; play entirely limited to very passive activities
- 10 - No play; does not get out of bed