Windows Batch Scripting/File Commands< Windows Batch Scripting(Redirected from Guide to Windows Commands/File Commands)
3. File CommandsEdit
This chapter covers the following commands:
- COMP - Compares the contents of two files or sets of files.
- FC - Compares two files or sets of files, and displays the differences between them.
- FIND - Searches for a text string in a file or files.
- FINDSTR - Searches for strings in files.
- MORE - Displays output one screen at a time.
- PRINT - Prints a text file.
- SORT - Sorts input.
- TYPE - Displays the contents of a text file.
The TYPE CommandEdit
The TYPE command display the contents of a file. There are no options for the TYPE command.
C:\>TYPE README.TXT This is a table of contents for "Editing Guide to Windows Commands" File and Directory Management File Commands C:\>
The SORT CommandEdit
The SORT command will sort lines of text from a file.
Orange Banana Apple Pear Strawberry Bluberry Blackberry -------- File: fruits.txt
C:\>sort fruits.txt Apple Banana Blackberry Bluberry Orange Pear Strawberry C:\>
The /R option will sort in reverse order.
C:\>sort /R fruits.txt Strawberry Pear Orange Bluberry Blackberry Banana Apple C:\>
The MORE CommandEdit
The MORE command will display output or contents of file a screenful at a time. It is especially useful when piping it with certain commands (such as DIR or TASKLIST) that produce very long output.
C:\>tasklist | more