One of the primary causes of resistance is the belief that action will fail.
Consider the following strategies for addressing resistance based on the fear of failure:
- Ask for and listen to their concerns
- Discover if their facts and fears are accurate and complete
- Determine if their beliefs are based on accurate information—they could be based on rumors
- Provide additional information to correct mistaken or inaccurate beliefs
- Offer more accurate interpretations of facts, even if the truth hurts
- Ask for suggestions to help make the action feel more successful
- Ask how you can help them implement change
- Encourage them to focus on the positive while addressing the reality of your situation
- Ask for their support in making the action work and thank them for what they have already done
- Express confidence in their ability to implement action successfully.
- Ask how you can help them implement action
- Follow through on agreements reached to improve the situation