Cookbook:Ukang Ukom (Plantain Porridge)
Ukang ukom (plantain porridge) is a local Nigerian dish made with unripe plantain. The delicacy is mostly found among Southern Nigerians, especially those from the Calabar and Efik tribes. It is a ceremonial dish.
- Cooking pot
- Wash the sliced plantain with salt. Transfer the plantain to a pot, and season.
- Add enough water to cover the plantain. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 20 minutes until the plantains are softened.
- Stir in the pepper, dryfish, goat meat, and ground crayfish. Cover, and cook for a few minutes.
- Stir the mixture until thickened. Stir in the oil, cover, and cook for 5 minutes so the oil mixes with the other ingredients.
- Stir in the efirin, and serve.