- 2 thick cut strip steaks
- 3 Tbsp Steak Rub
- 1/3 cup tequila
- Juice of two limes
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt (do not leave this out!)
- 1/2 cup soaked mesquite chips
- Combine liquid ingredients and salt in a gallon zip-top freezer bag. Add steaks and squeeze as much air out as possible. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Remove steaks from marinade and discard extra. Place Rub in a pie pan and add steaks, pressing lightly to help adhesion on both sides.
- Spray cold grill grate with nonstick cooking spray. Set up for direct and indirect heat and add some soaked mesquite chips to the coals.
- Place steaks on hottest part of grill and cook for 2-3 minutes per side. Move to the cooler part of the grill and cook, turning once, until internal temperature reaches 10° cooler than your preferred doneness. Remove and let rest for 7 minutes. Slice thinly across the grain on a bias and serve.