Cookbook:Pork Roast Leftovers in Sweet and Sour Sauce (Lechon Paksiw)
If you have ever hosted a true Filipino party whether it be a birthday, wedding or a community fiesta (feast) then you would know that a party is never complete without Roast Pig or Roast Suckling Pig.
Oftentimes in these occasions there will be many leftovers of the roast pig mainly around the spine area, ribs and head. This is a great way to economize and reinvent a dish served for yet another day or two.
- 1-3 lbs roast pork leftovers
- 6-12 cups water
- 1/2 cup cane vinegar (acetic acid)
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1-2 cups of liver sauce
- 1 head of garlic (cloves crushed)
- 1-2 tbsp black pepper (coarse)
- 1-2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 banana blossom
- 1/2 cup corn starch (diluted in half cup of water)
- 1 piece bay leaf
- In a large pot, heat 12 cups of water till a brisk boil on high fire.
- Bring fire to low.
- Add in roast pork leftovers, and all dry ingredients (garlic, black pepper, brown sugar, banana blossom, bay leaf), allow to sit for 30 minutes.
- Once all pieces of the leftover pork is tender (almost falling off the bone), add in vinegar, liver sauce and soy sauce. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Add in diluted cornstarch to thicken sauce.