Cookbook:Murgh Musallam (Indian Stewed Spiced Chicken)
(Redirected from Cookbook:Murgh Musallam)
|Murgh Musallam (Indian Stewed Spiced Chicken)|
- 600 g chicken
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp pepper powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp salt
Spice blend edit
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2-inch piece cinnamon
- 2 green cardamom pods
- 4 cloves
- ¼ tsp grated nutmeg (jayaphala)
- 1 medium mace javitri
- 1 black cardamom (moti elachi)
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and wash well.
- Marinate chicken with remaining ingredients for 1–4 hours.
Spice blend edit
- Dry roast all the ingredients until light brown and aromatic.
- Allow to cool then grind into a coarse powder.
- Soak almonds and cashews in water for 10–15 minutes. Peel almonds.
- Grind the almonds and cashews into a smooth paste, adding 1–2 tbsp water if required.
- Heat 2–3 tsp oil in a pan or wok. Add chopped onion, and sauté until golden brown. Allow to cool, then grind into a paste, trying not to add water.
- Heat oil or ghee in a pan or wok. Add onion paste, green chili, and ginger-garlic paste, then sauté until onion paste leaves oil.
- Add marinated chicken pieces, and mix well. Cover and cook for 5–6 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in the red chili powder, prepared spice blend, and tomato puree. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until oil starts to floats on the surface.
- Add water, and cook for 3–4 minutes over medium heat.
- Mix in the nut paste, mint, and salt. Cook until gravy becomes thick and oil starts to float.
- Remove from the heat, and stir in the coriander leaves.