- Combine egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar. Whip to stiff peaks using a whisk or an electric mixer with the whisk attachment.
- Gradually beat in in sugar and vanilla. Do not add the sugar all at once—this will cause your meringue to deflate. The meringue should be stiff, smooth, and glossy.
- Fold chocolate chips into the meringue.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake at 325˚F for 25 minutes, or a few minutes longer if needed. Let cool before removing from parchment. The cookies should be crispy all the way through, melt in your mouth, and not be chewy in the middle.