The traditional candy used is Fruit Puffs which are like firm, slightly chewy marshmallows and are obviously fruity. Malt biscuits and coconut are also used and other ingredients can be added or substituted.
- Crush the biscuits. They don't need to be a fine dust, some pieces can be left partially crushed to give the cake a nicer texture.
- Mix in cinnamon, if you want it.
- Warm the butter and condensed milk in the microwave for 30 seconds until the butter is very soft. It's ok if the butter melts a bit.
- Cut the fruit puffs in half if you want or leave them whole.
- Mix the fruit puffs with the crushed biscuits, add the butter and condensed milk. Mix well.
- Scoop up the mixture and roll it into a log shape, or take small amounts and roll into little balls.
- Roll in the shredded coconut until the log or each ball is completely covered.
- Place on a tray in the refrigerator and wait for it to harden. This takes a few hours. Put plastic wrap over the tray to keep the lolly cake moist.
- Cut cake while its still cold before it warms up again