Krummelpap is traditionally eaten at breakfast, mostly with a bit of milk, butter, and sugar, or at dinner, where it is served with a sauce like gravy.
It is slowly cooked on a stove.
- 1 tsp. salt
- 250 ml water (boiling/hot) or more as needed
- 700 ml maize
- Add maize and salt to a large pot (like the one used for rice).
- Add a third of the water and mix with a fork so that it makes little balls or crumbs.
- Add more water but only a little at a time while mixing. Make sure that you don't add too much water.
- Put the stove on a LOW heat and stir with a fork every 10 minutes. Keep the lid on; it is the steam that cooks the maize.
- Taste it after 35 minutes to test if it is done. If it still tastes like maize, leave it - the wonder of this porridge is that you can't overcook, but you can burn it.
- It takes approximately 50 minutes to cook.