Cookbook:Koshary (Egyptian Pasta Salad with Rice and Lentils)
(Redirected from Cookbook:Koshary)
Koshari, alternately spelled koshari or kushari, is an Egyptian dish of rice, pasta, and legumes. It combines elements of both Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisines.
For 7 servings:
- If using dried chickpeas and lentils, soak them in water overnight.
- Boil the rice, chickpeas, and lentils until tender. Cook the macaroni until al dente. Drain all.
- In a sealable container (e.g. a tupperware), layer the rice, the lentils, and the macaroni, and then the chickpeas. This is the koshari base.
- Sauté the diced onions in olive oil until crisp. Drain off the excess oil if desired, and reserve for garnish.
- Mix the tomato paste and water in a saucepan. Put on medium high heat, and stir in the cumin, black pepper and vinegar.
- Heat the sauce until most of the liquid evaporates.
- Add warm or hot water, and simmer it on low heat. Using a hand blender to increase consistency is optional.
- Scoop 1.5 cups of the koshari base into an individual bowl.
- Pour some sauce over the serving.
- Garnish with 1 tablespoon of the onions.
- Add vinegar and black pepper to taste, and serve.