Cookbook:Malvani Chicken Curry(Redirected from Cookbook:Kombdi Vade)
|Malvani Chicken Curry|
Kombdi Vade is a Malvani dish, which is quite popular in Maharashtra. The dish consists of the traditional Malvani chicken curry (including chicken pieces with bones), vade (also known as puri, which is a fluffy, fried bread of wheat and nachni flour), onion, lemon and solkadhi (a drink made from coconut milk).
- 800 g (1.8 lb) or 8 medium sized pieces of chicken
- 1 coconut grated
- 4 onions chopped
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsps garam masala
- 2 tsps Malvani Special Masala
- 8 green chillies chopped
- 2 tbs ginger paste
- 2 tbs garlic paste
- 2 tbs oil
- salt to taste
- finely chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
- Grind half of the green chillies to a paste and mix it well with the ginger and garlic pastes.
- Make cuts on the chicken pieces, rub this mixture on to them well and marinate for about an hour at least.
- Roast coconut shavings in a little hot oil till light brown. Cool and grind along with half the onions to a paste.
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pan and sauté the onions on medium level for about 2 minute(s) or till they are light brown in color.
- Add the remaining chopped green chillies, spice powders and fry for a few seconds. Add the marinated chicken pieces and fry on medium level for about 3 minutes or till they are lightly browned.
- Add the paste, salt and mix well. Add water according to the desired level of consistency and bring to a boil. Cover and cook on low level for about 25 minute(s) or till the chicken pieces are tender and fully cooked.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.
Notes, tips and variationsEdit
If it is difficult to obtain fresh coconut, it can be replaced by desiccated coconut shavings. For this recipe, there is no need to soak it in warm water. Roast it directly.