Cookbook:Holiday Cake (Spiced Fruitcake Loaf)
(Redirected from Cookbook:Holiday Cake)
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | United States | Cake
This is from an old recipe book of my mother's. There's a little note on the page: "fruitcake—only better." It's tricky to get right but it's well worth the time and effort. We usually make it around Christmastime.
For three loaves:
- 1 cup (240ml) pitted dates
- 2 cups (480ml) maraschino cherries
- ½ cup (120ml) cherry juice
- 1 cup (240ml) butter
- 3 cups (720ml) brown sugar
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup (240ml) milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 ½ cups (830ml) flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cloves
- ½ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 ½ cups (600ml) chopped nuts
- Cut dates and cherries into small pieces and soak them in cherry juice overnight.
- Preheat oven to 250°F (120˚C).
- Cream butter, add half of the sugar. Beat until fluffy.
- In another bowl beat egg yolks until thick. Add remaining sugar.
- Combine the two mixtures and beat.
- Sift and measure flour, then add and sift together salt, baking powder, and spices.
- Add dry ingredients and milk alternately to wet mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Add in fruit and nuts dredged lightly with flour.
- Bake in lined loaf pans and in slow oven for 3 hours.