Gunkanmaki ("battleship roll") is a variety of sushi where a oval-shaped piece of sushi rice is wrapped with nori and topped.
- Uni (sea urchin) roe
- Salmon roe
- Negitoro (minced raw tuna)
- Sliced cucumber
- Quail egg
- Cut nori into strips 1" wide and long enough to fully surround your sushi rice with at least 1 inch of overlap.
- Form the sushi rice into oval pieces approximately 1" wide by 1¼" long by 1" high.
- Starting with one end of a nori strip, fully wrap the nori around the sushi rice. Wet the inside of the overlapping nori, and press over the first end to seal the roll.
- Stand the rolled rice up, and place the desired topping(s) on top of the roll as shown in the images.