Cookbook:Grandma's Pie Crust
- Mix flour and salt. Cut shortening into the flour/salt mixture with a pastry cutter, until mixture resembles the texture of tiny peas.
- In separate bowl, whisk the egg, vinegar and water until well mixed.
- Drizzle water/egg mixture into flour mixture. Stir with fork, stir until dough is formed.
- Gather dough into a ball, flatten into a 10 cm (4 inch) wide disk. Wrap in plastic, and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Roll dough into 20 cm (9 inch) circle and place in a 20 cm (9 inch) pie pan.
- Line the unbaked pie shell with foil or parchment paper, fill with dried beans or rice.
- Bake at 220 °C (425 °F) until light golden brown (about 15 - 18 minutes).
- Cool before filling.