To make plain, Indonesian coconut rice for 4 people, we need:
- 300 grams of white long-grain rice
- 400 ml of coconut milk
- 2 red shallots
- 2 slices of fresh ginger
- a pinpoint of fenugreek seed
- 2 pandan leaves
- Wash the rice.
- Put all ingredients in a frying pan; make sure the rice is 2 cm submerged by the coconut milk.
- Cover the pan and allow to cook.
- Remove the pandan leaves
- Pour the rest of the coconut milk over the rice.
- Allow to rest for 15 minutes at room temperature and serve.
Notes, Tips, and VariationsEdit
- Depending on the thickness of the coconut milk, 2 deciliter coconut milk and 2 deciliter water may also be used. Also, instead of 300 grams of rice, 350 grams may be used depending on the thickness of the milk, whether or not the rice has been soaked a longtime prior to frying, personal preference, ...
In India, coconut rice is made with coconut flakes (or grated or desiccated/dry coconut). One way to make this dish is to make the rice separately (preferably using a rice variety which is light and fluffy when cooked) and then mixing it with the coconut mixture (coconut flakes toasted in sesame/coconut oil and spiced with paprika, nuts, curry powder/leaves and other spices).
Serves about 4-6 people:
- 5-7 cups of cooked, cooled white long grain rice (light and fluffy)
- 0.5 cup of fresh/frozen grated coconut or dry coconut flakes
- 2 dry red chilies
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seed
- 7-10 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon Chana dhal
- 2 teaspoon oil
- salt to taste
- a few cashews
- Wash the rice and cook it (either in rice cooker or over the stove) until light and fluffy.
- Let it cool and firm up a bit. May also use leftover white rice from previous day.
- Heat the oil with the mustard seeds in a covered sauté pan.
- When the mustard seeds have finished popping, add the other ingredients and lightly toast them in the oil till they change to a golden color.
- Then add the seasonings to cooked rice, mix well and serve.