- Bring the water to a boil.
- While it is heating, use a heavy pan or skillet to sauté the garlic and bulghur in the oil on medium-high heat for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the boiling water to the skillet. Return to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until all of the water is absorbed and the bulghur is soft but still chewy.
- When the bulghur is ready, stir in the scallions, carrots, parsley, tahini, tomato paste, soy sauce, mustard, and pepper. With moistened hands, form the bulghur mixture into 6 to 8 burgers.
- Cook the patties in a lightly-oiled heavy skillet on medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, flipping the burgers once when the outside is crunchy, or bake on an oiled baking sheet for 20 minutes at 375 °F (190 °C).
Notes, tips, and variations
- For a different flavour and more protein, add 1 cup of mashed cooked chickpeas to the cooked bulghur along with the other ingredients, before forming the burgers.