- 3 cups of beans, picked through (optionally, put them in water preferably the night before, this is, for 12 hours; or, in any case, at least for 4 hours).
- 8 cups of water.
- 1/2 onion, peeled.
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled.
- Optionally: ham, diced / chopped.
- Manual button and Pressure Cook button are the same and so interchangeably named for the different models.
- Place the beans, water, garlic, onion and ham pieces in the Instant Pot.
- Seal the lid, close the valve, and set the "Manual" (in some models, the "Pressure Cook") button to 35 minutes (8-10 minutes, if put in water the night before).
- Use a natural pressure release or the quick pressure release (see how).
- When the valve drops, carefully remove the lid.
- Put the salt.
- Serve or reuse in other recipes that employs beans.