Active Learning In Virtual Environment/Think pair share
The point of this learning method is to get the students to activate themselves in different ways. First the students think about the problem themselves then in pairs where they share their ideas on the topic which they firstly thought about themselves. Lastly, the students will share their individual ideas and pair ideas with the whole class. Think-pair-share enabled the students to understand the concept of the class as well as teach the students how to draw conclusions and discuss the topic in general. Think-pair-share speaks for itself, first the student thinks on their own then discusses with their pair and then the pair shares their ideas with the class.
- Choose a topic that you want to discuss in the class
- Ask the students to think about a question that you presented them about the topic
- Next divide the class into pairs and ask them to discuss about the question that you presented and their thoughts on it
- Ask the pairs to present their ideas to the class
- Discuss the questions and the topic with the whole class
How to use this method in online class?Edit
This method is very easy to use in online classes since many different formats have the possibility to put the students into pairs and have them working together. For example in Zoom it is possible to divide the class into pairs and then ask the pairs to share their ideas and thoughts with the whole class after the discussing in pairs part is done. For example, divide students into breakout rooms for two people and then discuss with class after they first discussed with their partner.
- ReadWriteThink, ‘Strategy Guide: Using the think-pair-share’, n.d.
- Reading Rockets, ‘Think-Pair-Share’, n.d.
- Western Government University - Texas, ‘How to Use the Think-Pair-Share Activity in Your Classroom’, n.d.
- Adolescent Literacy, ‘Classroom Strategies - Think-Pair-Share’, n.d.