You want to have a high-level overview of XML Search terms and technologies.
- Structured Search - retaining an using the structure of a document to aid in search result ranking
- Search Document - a document or document fragment that is returned as the result of a search. Note that in the search examples the word "document" may imply an entire XML document or a fragment or item in such a document.
- Search Query - a word or phrase to find
- Boolean Search - a search for an XML document that is either true or false with no ordering of search results
- Search Hit - a match of a query to a document or document fragment
- Hit Scoring - a method of assigning a weight to a search result for sorting. For example if a term occurs more frequently in a document it might receive a higher score
- Search Ranking - an order list of search results
- Global Search - searching one or more item types in a database
- Item Viewer - a program used to view a specific item type in a collection
Christopher D. Manning, Prabhakar Raghavan and Hinrich Schütze, Introduction to Information Retrieval, Cambridge University Press. 2008: online edition