Version and Build numbersEdit
- See main article: Trainz Version And Build Numbers for technical treatment and specifics on this topic.
Trainz is a product family which has continually evolved. The Trainz version number started as a simple Retail release and update tracking system, dating to the initial Beta test version of Trainz 0.9 in 2000 AD. As the version number system evolved it also became a measure and touchstone indicating a minimal asset technology level called a service packs when the product was transitioning from 32 bit computers to harnessing the power of quad-core microprocessors and 64 bit architectures.value. There is also a number of different software versions that are produced to service the international community which in fact define the binary code which satisfy the technology handling capability of a Trainz-build value, which range from V-1.0 to V-3.7, Trainz initial release through Trainz 2010+Service Pack 1 (and 3 patches). Except for the Trainz 2010
Some ContentManager to trap these incompatibilities. These require human intervention and adjustment of the asset's data files and have given rise to the term "error fixing" (usually a misnomer, data-model adjustment is more precise and correct) when one downloads an asset from the Download Station. A project was also begun belatedly towards the end of 2010 to 'clean up' the data base of the DLS, and is limping along gradually making progress. As of October 2013 the company CEO announced a new Trainz graphics engine with backward compatibility was expected by December 2014.of Trainz have changed the requirements of how data is defined and where and how it is stored as the product family evolved new capabilities and features, many times at the request of the Trainz user community. These factors are familiar to the content creators that make assets and are mostly transparent to Trainz users—up until the asset has an irreconcilable translation incompatibility with the users code version. That is an asset, which worked fine in a previous Trainz Version (Though some are errors of composition-flawed data being uploaded to the Download Station) now evinces a problem in a newer Trainz version. One thing the 'trainz-build' version is used for is differential processing, a widespread asset (for example an locomotive engine specification data element) built to Trainz-build v-1.3 might still be used in current Trainz (and is, since the DLS is around with tens of thousands of older content items, and thousands of routes many of which pre-date TS2009 when the new data model became more stringently enforced and created more errors from a plethora of new built-in error testing and asset validation measures. As Trainz releases evolved, this error checking (introduced in TRS2004, expanded in TRS2006) was put in place in the
The following list of Trainz Retail Releases names is in chronological order of publication:
- Trainz 1.3
- Trainz Version 1.0, published December 2001. Most common version was with Service Pack 3 applied, making Trainz 1.3
- Trainz UTC
- Ultimate Trainz Collection (UTC), published November 2002. Version 1.5.
- Trainz Railway Simulator 2004/Trainz Railroad Simulator 2004 (TRS2004), published September 2003, Version 2.0. also known as Passenger Edition in the UK. Four service packs creating version 2.4 with Trainz 2004 Deluxe as a final retail release (Most popular version, was available until 2013).
- Trainz Railway Simulator 2006/Trainz Railroad Simulator 2006 (TRS2006), published September 2005, Version 2.5; This was the version which introduced the file structure used through later versions upto current releases, with minor differences, the Content Manager Plus (CMP) improvement (now just 'CM' or Content Manager but also now referred to by the release version number 'CM 3.3' being the last of four service pack upgrades for TS2009, 'CM-3.7' referring to TS2012, etcetera. The Trainz-build version number now is displayed when running CM),
- Trainz Driver Edition (TDE) —a low-cost (Driver GUI) 'demo version' of TRS2006 SP0 with Surveyor functions and general content omitted. (The release does have three large routes with more 'sessions' than other TRS2006 based releases, though 2 of the 3 were part of TRS2004 Deluxe release.)
- Trainz Routes — consisted of four groups of add-on layouts for TRS2006 (no program included)
- Trainz Complete Collection — Bundled TRS2004 Deluxe, TRS2006 and the expansion DVD of Trainz Routes in one big box set.
- Trainz Railway Simulator 2007/Trainz Railroad Simulator 2004 (TRS2007) (this is TRS2006 with its service pack applied; it is only sold in some European countries), Version 2.6
- Three Trainz Classics releases
- Trainz Classics (called Trainz Railways in the UK and Trainz Railwayz in the USA), first module (TC1) released in 2007.
- Each has an slightly updated game engine, TC3 being the most up to date incorporating an actual software change affecting data structures. A modular system of gems where each one contains a different route and appropriately themed content.
- Modules 1 and 2 were bundled by Auran's joint-venture partner (a software publisher/distribution partner) and so are now generally sold together as one program, but Trainz Classics 3 does not contain the previous releases since a different publisher/distributor handled that product release. All of the Trainz Classic releases, the TDE, and other regionally targeted releases do not include many of the 'stock' built-in assets which were supplied with TRS2004 and TRS2006. As a result, any custom content which uses those assets as dependencies will not work, unless they are imported from TRS2006 or downloaded from the Download Station website.
TC3 has some enhancements that require the enginespec tag to be changed on other locos to enable them to take full advantage of the game engine. In the config.txt file for your loco change the 'enginespec' tag to be one of the following kuids.
The are listed from the smallest loco to the largest.
<kuid:71662:52101> LMS3F Engine Spec <kuid:71662:52102> Fowler 4F Enginespec <kuid:71662:52104> Stanier 8F Enginespec <kuid:71662:52106> Gresley A3 Engine spec <kuid:71662:52103> BR Standard Class 7 (Britannia) Enginespec <kuid:71662:52105> BR Standard 9f Enginespec
You can also do the same with the sounds to use the new built-in ones.
- TRS2009 / TS2009
- TS2009: World Builder Edition (2008) - Improved Surveyor capabilities and a new skin; the version contains the first actual software game engine advances that harnessed the increased RAM and Video card memory asset utilizations and was the
- TS2009/10 also support the new specs, additionally they support DXT graphic compression transparently, and multi-core processors which the earlier versions did not. When running under a 64 bit operating system these programs can use 4 gigs of memory, TC3 and earlier versions are limited to 2 gigs of memory.
- TRS2010 / TS2010
- TS2010: Engineers Edition - Improved graphics capabilities and Speedtree technology with a new skin variant. TS2010-SP2 introduce the use of 64 bit processing while retaining a compatibility mode with older 32 bit computer architectures.
- Trainz Simulator Mac - MacIntosh Computer version of TS2009
- TS12 (Anniversary Edition also Available)
- Trainz Driver iOS
- Trainz Driver Android
In most cases, each version of Trainz is available in various regional editions for different parts of the world. These follow language groupings by market followings as things historically developed. Dutch-German-English attention created a German and Italian version before the 2007 release of a French version or those in Eastern European languages (Polish, Hungarian, and Russian).
In some countries older versions of Trainz are still available, often at budget software prices. Amazon.com (USA) was selling various older versions via it's online partners as recently as April 2013.
Most versions of Trainz have had service packs released which can be downloaded free of charge. The last service pack for TRS2004 is SP4 (makes Trainz Version 2.4). The only service pack for TRS2006 (version and build-tag is 2.5, like demo TDE release) is SP1 (makes TRS2006-SP1, or Trainz Version 2.6).
TS2009/TRS2009 is the 3rd most recent version of the game engine but began a trend of successive versions having a lower tolerance for errors in the config.txt files than earlier versions. T'09 also incorporates new graphics features taking advantage of newer video card online processing capabilities, including shadows and asset models incorporating LOD variations.
TS2010/TRS2010 is the 2nd most recent version of the game engine but has a lower tolerance for errors in the config.txt files than earlier versions.
TS12/TS2012/TRS2012 is the most recent version of this game & also released as an "10th anniversary edition for Trainz" (10 years).
TC3 content has been updated and revised to become both a TRS2009-SP3 or SP4 and TS2010 add on pack, first 3rd party developer and Auran/N3V Games 'partner' to systematically update assets to the asset technology introduced in T'09, new graphics model capabilities.
The versions of Trainz Driver for mobile device operating systems, iOS and Android, are not presently capable of supporting content made for more recent versions, and while users can create routes and sessions to exchange with other mobile users, other user content is not presently possible.
Beginning in August of 2009, Auran/N3V Games began a Technical reference and user interest wiki called TrainzOnline. Most of the data on the site was put up by the official staff of the company.
- (historical 'release' names, albeit, ephemeral)
- English Trainz Article, and various historical versions of the article before editors shortened the data set.
- Trainz-build tag value
- Personal experience, see this collection, most of which was purchased during a single day that month.
- , TrainzOnline wiki
- , TrainzOnline wiki