Trainz/Versions Of Trainz
The following list is in chronological order of publication:
- Trainz Version 1.0, published December 2001. Most common version was with Service Pack 3 applied, making Trainz 1.3
- Ultimate Trainz Collection (UTC), published November 2002. Version 1.5.
- Trainz Railway Simulator 2004/Trainz Railroad Simulator 2004 (TRS2004), published September 2003, Version 2.0. also known as Passenger Edition in the UK.
- Trainz Railway Simulator 2006/Trainz Railroad Simulator 2004 (TRS2006), published September 2005, Version 2.5
- Trainz Railway Simulator 2007/Trainz Railroad Simulator 2004 (TRS2007) (this is TRS2006 with its service pack applied; it is only sold in some European countries), Version 2.6
- Trainz Driver Edition (TDE) (a low-cost demo version of TRS2006 with some functions omitted)
- Trainz Routes (add-on layouts for TRS2006, no program included)
- Trainz Classics (called Trainz Railways in the UK and Trainz Railwayz in the USA), first module released in 2007. Each has an updated game engine, TC3 being the most up to date. A modular system of gems where each one contains a different route and appropriately themed content. Module 1 is the Harlem Line, Module 2 is Metropolis Edition, essentially a city tram network, and Module 3 is the UK's Settle and Carlisle Line set in the 1960s. Modules 1 and 2 are now generally sold together as one program, but Module 3 does not contain the previous ones. Trainz Classics does not include many of the built-in assets which were supplied with TRS2004 and TRS2006. As a result, any custom content which uses those assets as dependencies will not work, unless they are imported from TRS2006.
- TS2009 World Builder Edition
- TS2010 Engineers Edition
- Trainz Simulator Mac
- TS12 (Anniversary Edition also Available)
- Trainz Driver iOS
- Trainz Driver Android
TC3 has some enhancements that require the enginespec tag to be changed on other locos to enable them to take full advantage of the game engine. In the config.txt file for your loco change the 'enginespec' tag to be one of the following kuids.
The are listed from the smallest loco to the largest.
<kuid:71662:52101> LMS3F Engine Spec <kuid:71662:52102> Fowler 4F Enginespec <kuid:71662:52104> Stanier 8F Enginespec <kuid:71662:52106> Gresley A3 Engine spec <kuid:71662:52103> BR Standard Class 7 (Britannia) Enginespec <kuid:71662:52105> BR Standard 9f Enginespec
You can also do the same with the sounds to use the new built-in ones.
TS2009/10 also support the new specs, additionally they support DXT graphic compression transparently, and multi-core processors which the earlier versions did not. When running under a 64 bit operating system these programs can use 4 gigs of memory, TC3 and earlier versions are limited to 2 gigs of memory.
In most cases, each version of Trainz is available in various regional editions for different parts of the world.
In some countries older versions of Trainz are still available, often at budget software prices.
Most versions of Trainz have had service packs released which can be downloaded free of charge. The last service pack for TRS2004 is SP4 (makes Trainz Version 2.4). The only service pack for TRS2006 is SP1 (makes Trainz Version 2.6).
TS2010 is the 2nd most recent version of the game engine but has a lower tolerance for errors in the config.txt files than earlier versions.
TS12 is the most recent version of this game & also released as an anniversary edition for trainz (10 years).
TC3 has been updated and revised to become a TS2010 add on pack www.settleandcarlisle.co.uk
The versions of Trainz Driver for mobile device operating systems, iOS and Android, are not presently capable of supporting content made for more recent versions, and while users can create routes and sessions to exchange with other mobile users, other user content is not presently possible.
Last modified on 16 April 2013, at 05:40