Surgical Procedures/Abdominal Surgery
- Operation by which abdominal cavity is opened.
- A large incision is through the abdominal wall, made to operate on or view the abdominal contents.
Types of Laprotomy
- Therapeutic Laprotomy:
- Is performed to inspect abdominal cavity.
- Is performed to manipulate with internal organs.
- Diagnostic Laprotomy:
- Is performed to establish final diagnosis.
- Is performed to surgically excise pathological formation.
- E.g usually tumors.
- Probatoric Laprotomy:
1. Vertical Incisions. a) Medial Incision: o Commonest incision due to: Wide incision which gives more Is performed in: • White line of Abdomen. • Lateral to Umbilicus. o Is performed not to disturb Round Ligament of Liver. Depending on the relation with Umbilicus, vertical incisions are known as: Superior Medial Incision. Inferior middle Medial Incision.Last modified on 11 June 2009, at 02:48