School Science/Mercury cleanup
||Mercury is HIGHLY toxic. Under no circumstances should children or pregnant women attempt to clean up a mercury spill|
Mercury and most of its compounds are extremely toxic. Spillage requires specific cleaning procedures to avoid toxic exposure. Inhalation and contact with the skin are dangerous. If you are handling mercury in a school and you spill some you should follow your school's procedure. This will almost certainly involve immediately contacting a teacher or other member of the staff.
Under no circumstances should you try and clean up a spill with a broom or vacuum cleaner. These can cause the mercury to disperse into small droplets or become vapour - both of which are more dangerous.Last modified on 20 July 2009, at 20:54