This chapter describes what outdoor education is and isn't, definitions, similar terms and concepts, and how the meaning/interpretation of outdoor education may have varied over time and across cultures.
There are many definitions of outdoor education, e.g.,:
- Outdoor education involves experiential learning in, through, and about natural environments.
- Knapp stated that Place-Based Education is also known as environmental education, outdoor education, service learning, or experiential education (2005, p. 278).
Key sources for more information about the definition of outdoor education include:
- w:Outdoor education#Definitions
- Neill (2006) provides a list of definitions of outdoor education.
- Priest (2004) provides definitions of adventure programming terms.
- The Definitions project was a year long project of 26 USA Federal Agencies and Non-profit Associations looking at definitions related to environmental education, interpretation, experiential education, outdoor education and related terms.