Noli me Tangere is subdivided into 63 chapters, each are simultaneous from one another and explored lives of different characters embedded into single time frame and has interconnections. Originally, Noli me Tangere has 64 chapters. The removed chapter, now referred to as Chapter X (Chapter "eks"), was titled Eliás y Salomé (Elias and Salome), was not included in any Noli publication. Rizal intended to remove the chapter from the whole novel, primarily because of financial measures: if he is still to push for completing 64 chapters, he will not be able to produce 2,000 copies (see History of Noli). Later, the manuscript of the chapter was discovered through Viola's copies and were able to translate and publish into other contemporary editions of Noli.
In Philippine schools, Eliás y Salomé is not studied as part of literature studies. Few books published the chapter. In this Wikibook version of Noli me Tangere, we will include the chapter as part of this series.
Main problem of numbering titles is the translation issue. To resolve this conflict, each pages will be named as Chapter x (as it appears on the address bar). Pages will be titled based on original Spanish chapter title, while possible English and Filipino translations will follow.
The novel opens with Chapter 1, Una reunion, where the house of Kapitan Tiyago is filled with glory and welcomes freshly-returned Crisostomo Ibarra from Europe.
List of chaptersEdit
- Una reunion (A Social Gathering)
- Crisóstomo Ibarra (Crisostomo Ibarra)
- La cena (The Dinner)
- Hereje y filibustero (Heretic and Filibuster)
- Una estrella en noche oscura (A Star in the Dark Night)
- Capitán Tiago (Kapitan Tiyago)
- Idilio en una azotea (An Idyll in the Flat Roof)
- Recuerdos (Memories)
- Cosas del país (Different Events)
- El pueblo (The Town [of San Diego])
- Los soberanos (Powerful People)
- Todos los Santos (All Saints' Day)
- Presagios de tempestad (Signs of the Calamity)
- Tasio: ¿el loco ó el filósofo? (Tasyo:Lunatic or Sage?)
- Los sacristanes (Sacristans)
- Note the use of Filipinized name